USA | San Francisco

(415) 900-4405

USA | San José

(408) 963-0355

USA | Sacramento

(916) 349-2900

USA | Napa

(707) 408-8100

USA | Walnut Creek

(925) 222-5074

Mexico | Mexico City

(+52) 55-94170337

Mexico | Guadalajara

(+52) 33-59859217

Mexico | Monterrey

(+52) 55-94146614


Navigating the K1 Visa Process

A Step-by-Step Guide for Couples

For couples separated by international borders, the K1 visa serves as a vital tool to allow partners to unite and begin their journey together in the United States. The K1 visa, also known as the Fiancé(e) Visa, is specifically designed for this purpose, enabling a foreign fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen to enter the country for the purpose of getting married. Here's a step-by-step guide to understanding and successfully obtaining a K1 visa.

Step 1: Petition Filing (Form I-129F):

The process begins with the U.S. citizen petitioner filing Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This form establishes the intention of the petitioner to marry their foreign fiancé(e) within 90 days of entry into the U.S. The petitioner must provide evidence of their relationship, including documents such as photographs, correspondence, and evidence of in-person meetings within the last two years.

Step 2: USCIS Processing:

Once the petition is filed, USCIS reviews the application to ensure eligibility and authenticity of the relationship. This includes conducting background checks on both the petitioner and the beneficiary (foreign fiancé(e)). If the petition is approved, USCIS notifies the petitioner and forwards the approved petition to the appropriate U.S. embassy or consulate for further processing.

Step 3: Visa Application at U.S. Embassy or Consulate:

The beneficiary (foreign fiancé(e)) is required to apply for the K1 visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country. This involves completing Form DS-160 (Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application), scheduling and attending a visa interview, and providing supporting documentation, including proof of relationship, medical examination results, and evidence of financial support.

Step 4: Visa Interview:

During the visa interview, a consular officer evaluates the bona fides of the relationship and assesses the eligibility of the beneficiary for the K1 visa. The officer may ask questions about the couple's relationship, wedding plans, and intentions for residing in the United States. If satisfied, the visa may be approved, and the beneficiary will receive further instructions for travel to the U.S.

Step 5: Entry into the United States:

Upon approval of the K1 visa, the beneficiary can travel to the United States and must marry the petitioner within 90 days of entry. Once married, the beneficiary can apply for adjustment of status to lawful permanent residency (green card) by filing Form I-485, thereby completing the process of transitioning from a K1 visa holder to a permanent resident.

How KPB Immigration Law Firm can assist you

Obtaining a K1 visa is the first step towards building a life together for couples separated by international borders. With KPB Immigration Law Firm's expertise and support, couples can approach this process with confidence and a sense of security. If you're ready to begin your K1 Visa application or have questions about the process, contact us today for a consultation with one of our knowledgeable attorneys.